Parenting Endurance

By Carissa

I’ve been training at high intensity but it’s not the kind of training you would expect.  I’ve been running a race, a marathon of sorts without even lacing up my shoes.  My race is the kind Paul talks of in Romans 12:1, “And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.”  My marathon is the race of life.

My heart longs to share with you openly why I have been training with intensity and yet my story is the kind that gets shared over a cup of coffee not a running blog. 

Running has fallen to the bottom of my list.  Seasons like this have a way of stripping away free time and hobbies.  Instead I “train” when I go to doctors’ appointments, stock up on parenting books, rebuild our tool box with better systems, and learn from those who have walked this road ahead of us.  My “training partners” are the friends and family that are faithfully lifting my family and I up in prayer.

While I haven’t been training for a race, the change has opened me up to some experiences I wouldn’t have had otherwise.  Some of my best running buddies have been training for half and full marathons.  Without any schedule to keep I’ve been able to tag along on their training runs.  I’m remembering my first love: long slow runs with a friend.  I’m not sure there’s anything better than being able to talk at length and work up a good sweat.

I have also been free to do more cross training.  When my husband wants to go for a hike, walk or short run I join him.  I have made it to spin class weekly and have enjoyed being back on my bike.  I also checked out the workout DVD selection at my local library and picked up anything that I found interesting.





It has been a blessing.  A change of pace that needed to happen.  My clothes fit a bit tighter but I’m healthy, active and devoting my first and best time to the needs of my family.  


Tanya sent Jodi and I an email a while back that ended like this:

"Good luck on your marathon this weekend Jodi, you know I’m one of your biggest fans and I’ll be cheering you on!

Good luck on your marathon of parenting Carissa.  You know I am one of your biggest fans and I am always cheering you on!"

My Sole Sisters truly are there to “run” through life with me.  

We’d love to hear from you Sole Sisters...Has a hard season in life had an impact on your running?  

No comments:

Post a Comment