RUNNING FOR ROBYN: NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2019

By Tanya

When thinking about planning my running this year, I felt God’s voice telling me this is a year to run for others. I have run in the past to prove to myself that I could do it. That I had what it took to preserve and push through the hard training and tackle the incredible 26.2 mile distance of the marathon. And I did. I am truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to set big goals and work to achieve them with the support of my friends and family.

But this year is different. As one of my favorite sayings goes “We are blessed to be a blessing”. The past few years I have seen so many of my friends having to run a race they did not sign up for. A race that began when they heard the word cancer, and their lives changed in an instant.  

I cannot even begin to know what that must feel like and the ensuing all-consuming battle it takes to deal with all that goes into fighting cancer, emotionally, physically and spiritually. It really is the fight of their lives. But what I do know for sure, is that all of my friends who have fought this battle, have done so with the most open and honest hearts. I am truly in awe of their beauty, strength and courage.

They have opened themselves up to love and be loved in ways that makes everyone around them more aware of how precious life is and that we all need each other.

I have seen firsthand how when love is poured out it moves people. This year I have been blessed to partner with the American Cancer Society to do what I can to support and fight this battle alongside my friends for a special little girl named Gracie. I have been in parades, photos shoots, community groups, meals and all sort of gatherings where people have come together to do their part to support those affected by cancer. Their love and care for each other has truly inspired me.

Initially, I thought I was done running marathons for a while. But when yet another friend of mine, Robyn, heard that awful diagnosis, I knew I had to do more. I was given the opportunity to run in the New York City Marathon this year as a fundraising athlete for the American Cancer Society, and once again I was moved. 


Robyn is one of the most strong, generous, beautiful women I know. She has inspired me through her faithfulness to listen to the Lord and follow His leading. Robyn lives life to the fullest by giving and receiving love well. Robyn is just at the beginning of her race with cancer but I know this for sure, she has a purpose, and is already using this challenge to trust more, grow more, love more, and inspire others even more! 
I am honored to run 26.2 miles through the 5 boroughs of New York for Robyn and raise $3200 for cancer research and support.  It's a big goal but together we can do it! And as Robyn says, LET’S KICK CANCER’S ARSE!

This year I am running to celebrate with my sisters who have conquered this beast. I am running to remember the precious lives that this evil has taken from us. And I am running for my friends who are battling this monster right now. 


If you feel moved to help support me to run the New York City Marathon for the American Cancer Society please donate to my fundraising page and click on this link at American Cancer Society
Click on these words to be directed to Tanya's ACS page

No comments:

Post a Comment