All Good Things Must Come to an End: 1,521 Days

by Jodi

All good things must come to an end.  I tore the meniscus on my right knee in early August.  I knew immediately that something big was wrong.  The pain was manageable, but the instability of my knee was nauseating.  It shifted and popped internally as I walked, and frequently gave out or sent shooting pain through the side of my knee.  Oddly, it felt better running than when I was walking.

I had to step off my anchor leg of the Portland Running Company Girlz Hood to Coast team.  Curt and I were supposed to go on a three day backpacking trip through the Sisters Wilderness.  That got modified to what we termed "backcamping,"  camping in our tent on our comfy cots, but took day hikes into the Sisters Wilderness.  The final big blow was bowing out of a South Sister summit with three of my running buddies.  All three events had been on the calendar for months.  They each felt like a loss.

The biggest loss was ending my run streak.  I knew when I tore my meniscus that it was not going to get better without surgery and that the end of the streak was inevitable.  I also knew that what's torn is torn.  Running was not going to make my injury any worse, so I ran my streak out all the way to the day of surgery.

On Friday, September 6th, I met my friend Paula on Portland's south waterfront and we ran one, slow mile, trying not to sweat because I had to abstain from food or drink in anticipation of surgery.  Paula inspired me to start a streak, so it seemed almost sacred that we would share the last mile of my streak together. Paula reminded me that it was okay to grieve the end of my streak.  She also reminded me that 4+ years of running every day was something to celebrate.  We reviewed all the big life changes that took place in the four years of my streak.



Here are some of the highlights:

  • My husband got his doctorate while working full time.
  • My son started high school.  Got his drivers permit.  Got his driver's license.  Won four state titles in water polo. Played three high school sports all four years of high school. Graduated from high school with honors. Got his first full time job. Started college.
  • My daughter Katie finished middle school. Started high school.  Got her drivers permit. Got her license. Got her first job.  Upgraded to a second job that she loves even more. Played two high school sports all four years of her high school career. Started her senior year and is applying to colleges. 
  • My daughter Alli finished middle school.  Started high school. Went from middle school athletics to playing four varsity sports her freshman year.  Got her drivers permit.  Landed her first job. And we can't wait for her to get her license in the spring because... ALL THE SPORTS!
  • My youngest daughter Paige finished elementary school. Started middle school. Added two more sports to her schedule. Got certified as a babysitter. Grew at least a foot.
  • My photography business went from very part-time to almost full time.  I added real estate photography and corporate head shots to my menu, and deleted weddings.
  • I won a marathon with a new marathon PR that I'm pretty sure I will never get close to again.  I still can't believe that a first place plaque is hanging on my garage wall. 
  • I completed an ultra-relay, running more than 40 miles in 29 hours for my portion. This might be the pinnacle of my running career.  
  • I got to wear the Portland Running Company uniform and represent them at Hood to Coast for three of the past four years.
  • Ran several marathons, half marathons, relays, and 10ks over the past four years, each with their own flavor, story, and piece of my heart.
It was good to pause and reflect on all the ways God has led me and my family in the past 4+ years.  

It's been ten days since I had surgery.  The first three days were miserable: non-weight bearing and couldn't get ahead of the pain.  Day four was a step above miserable.  Day five was the turning point. I ditched the crutches and started the painful process of bearing weight and trying to break up all that swelling in my knee.  

Seven days after surgery, I walked one mile.

Today, I ran my first mile post surgery.  
Ran my first mile post-surgery
I am in awe of the human body and it's ability to heal.

I would love to start another run streak, but this is my second meniscus surgery in ten years.  My surgeon said this surgery should get me another ten years - give or take - out of my knee.  The running is therapeutic for my soul, but not so great on my knee.  I am taking my husband's advice and starting an exercise streak instead.  I love the accountability of a streak to keep me moving each day, and am intrigued by the flexibility that an exercise streak will offer.  I hope to bring back more consistent yoga, cycling, strength training and maybe even swimming (GAG), but we all know that the streak will be 90% running.  I'm on day four of this new exercise streak and am excited to see where it takes me.


In the end, my run streak was 1,521 days.  I'm grateful for every mile, every day, every friendship formed and forged on the run.  All good things must come to an end, but each ending leaves room for a new beginning.  Cheers to new beginnings.  Run on friends.







No comments:

Post a Comment