Most of you know I had a run streak before this one I’m currently in. I started the summer before Grant began high school and ended September of his first year of college due to a meniscus tear and subsequent surgery. 1,521 days of running a minimum of one continuous mile every day. The run streak shaped a big part of my identity. I had a massive mileage base, a ton of speed, was racing competitively and frequently, and averaging a 10 K a day for 4+ years. It felt good to be excelling at something.
After my knee surgery, I floundered. Who was I without the streak? In the three years that followed, I still ran a lot, just not every day. I gave up my mileage base and my speed. In exchange, I got to walk with friends. I practiced yoga regularly. Talked a lot about lifting weights, but rarely did it. Hiked more often. Ran just because, and not because I had to. I raced a little but not a lot.
In June 2022 Katie was working in upstate New York. She was nine months into her run streak and we missed each other terribly. I started running every day again because it was something we could do “together’ and just like that Run Streak #2 began.
This run streak is different. Because I’ve had two knee surgeries on my right knee. I promised Curt I would not go so hard. I committed to a minimum of one day a week where I only ran one slow mile. The commitment to lean into rest has been so good for me.
In the four years of the current streak, I have run a ton of 1 mile days. Katie and Paige both have run streaks so when they are in town we frequently run 1 mile and then go for a walk so we can chat and catch up. It’s a beautiful time of connection with my girls. I learned to play pickleball, started backpacking again, and still hate weight training.
This streak I’ve run a handful of half marathons, including Katie’s first half marathon. I was there to cheer her across the finish line of her first marathon. I have turkey trotted with my family, raced and trained with my young, fast friends, and jogged slowly on single track trails through the mountains.
A lot of my running friends have swapped racing and running for walking and hiking. I like those activities but I still love the challenge of a training block and the thrill of throwing down on race day. I want to keep racing, but I’ve also leaned into listening to my body and pivoting as needed. I gave up two marathon training blocks because life and my body said, “Now is not the time.” I’ve pivoted on countless training runs that were supposed to be faster or longer based on what my body was telling me. It’s a new skill for me and one I’m still honing.
For me, running every day provides accountability. It gives me space to clear my head, spend time with the Lord, and build relationships with people who are willing to tag along. It also builds mental fortitude because I run when I feel terrible. Run when I feel great. Run in the cold. The heat. The rain. The snow and on rare occasion, a treadmill.
Last week someone asked me what day my run streak was on. As usual, I had to look it up. I was shocked to discover this run streak had surpassed my last. I had no idea this milestone had already come and gone and that’s when it hit: my run streak is something I DO, but it know longer defines me. I celebrate that growth. Cheers to day #1,538 and any more that Lord allows me to run.
























No comments:
Post a Comment